Updated: October 7, 2022 by Quincy Seale
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. See our disclosure for more info.
In today’s hectic world, it is becoming harder and harder to calm the mind. We are over-stimulated and overworked, and we find less time to do the things we enjoy because of the things we have to do.
Without moments of quiet and clarity, it’s easy to go a full day without hearing your inner voice. But this is one of the most important things you can do for your mental health. Finding a space for mindfulness helps us both in challenging times and moments of celebration. It allows our mind to come back to who we really are, where we are, and how we are doing.
Inspirational words of encouragement have a powerful effect on the mind. A 2015 study by Brain and Behavior confirmed that repeating a word or phrase quiets what is known as the “default-mode network” – that is, a network that fills the mind with busy, distracting thoughts.
Repeated mantras (like the one’s we’ll share below) allow the mind to rest, help us to focus, and let us see the world without the distracting chatter.
Encouraging phrases themselves spark a positive neurological response. As early as the 1970s, scientist John Eccles found that just by speaking “positive verbs” out loud, the area of the brain responsible for movement jumped into action. Other researchers have continued to prove his findings in the last few decades: that when we repeat positive phrases, our brain physically responds.
We’ve put together a list of words of encouragement to help you focus your mind and quiet your default-mode network.
We suggest reading through the whole list and picking out the ones that really resonate with you. Write those down and put them somewhere you can see them: on your fridge, on a note by your desk, next to the front door, or even on your mirror. Wherever you’ll see them! Then make a point of saying them out loud each day.
So here are 101 inspirational words of encouragement to lift you up today!
Everyday Mantras for Mindfulness
- Today I plant the seeds for the life I long to live.
- I am open and willing to flow with life’s changes.
- I build a space of calm and clarity all around me.
- My creativity is precious and unique.
- One activity at a time; there is no need to rush.
- No one can distract me from this moment but me.
- I am supported in my work and goals.
- Today, I will see the world with enthusiasm and curiosity.
- My breath is an entryway to a place of inner calm.
- I will seek the sacred in the ordinary.
- Each person I meet is a friend and fellow world traveler.
- I am capable of small positive changes.
- Balance in all things brings peace and contentment.
- Today, I will create something new.
- My mind longs for new information and growth.
- Acts of kindness ripple through the world.
- My compassion does not go unnoticed.
- Time is never wasted when I am fully present.
- Today, I will step outside my comfort zone.
- Setting goals for the future gives me direction in the present.
- My five senses are a doorway to the present moment.
- I will heal by connecting with others.
- I am a constant work in progress, and that is okay.
Words of Encouragement for Success
- I have integrity and drive and worked persistently for this moment.
- I am worthy of praise—both from others and myself.
- With each day, I will take smaller steps toward my joy.
- Working toward my goals inspires others around me to do the same.
- Improvement and growth are never linear.
- The more I improve myself, the more I can help the world around me.
- I have the power to spread love to each and every person that crosses my path.
- My path is unique and I will walk it with pride.
- I will pause and appreciate this beautiful moment.
- I can define what “success” means for me at this given moment.
- I will spread enthusiastic light to those who need it today.
- I built this mountain with small stones, and only then began to climb.
- This day can act as a beacon of hope for the days when I need inspiration.
- My community supports me and I support them.
- I will be present in my current joy.
- Change is inevitable, in good times and in bad.
- Never give up. There is no such thing as an ending. Just a new beginning.
- There may be trouble ahead, but I am strong enough to face it.
- People trust me because I am trustworthy.
- Each success is an opportunity to help others.
Mantras for Good Health
- My body is a beautiful creation that changes and grows.
- I choose actions, food, and ideas that help me stand taller and stronger.
- Each day, my body can heal itself.
- I fill my mind and body with light and love.
- I exercise to greater understand my body.
- I send loving kindness to each organ and area of my brain.
- Peace with my body inspires others to find peace for their own.
- Feeding my mind feeds my body.
- I am allowed to take the time to heal.
- I will listen to what my body is trying to tell me.
- I will seek help when I cannot help myself.
- My health standards come before anyone else’s beauty standards.
- I will check in with myself and give my body what it needs.
- When I feed my body well, I am more capable to connect with those around me.
- Today, I will speak kindly to my body.
- I am thankful for my abilities.
- I will proceed through my day with determination, not judgment.
- I set my own standards and benchmarks.
- My mental and physical health comes before my career.
- I will find new ways to support the health of those around me.
Words of Encouragement for Times of Sadness
- “Tears are a river that takes you somewhere…tears lift your boat off the ground, carrying it downriver to someplace better.” – Clarissa Pinkola Estes
- Though I feel pain, I am still my true self.
- When I care about emotions, I am more capable of caring for others.
- Change is the pathway to growth.
- I will nurture my inner pain and listen to its message.
- I did everything I felt was right at the moment; I have no need for regret.
- I am not alone and I am not forgotten.
- Asking for help makes me stronger.
- From change comes great possibility.
- I will listen to my sadness with patience and love.
- My words, thoughts, and ideas are important to the world.
- I am deserving of rest and rejuvenation.
- The world outside my mind does not define me.
- I am protected in love and kindness during this difficult time.
- “You are the sky. Everything else – it’s just the weather.” – Pema Chodron
- Although I feel out of control, I am safe, cared for, and healthy.
- The dangers of the past do not define who I am today.
- I am not a burden to others, as they are not a burden to me.
- For now, I will seek joy in the small moments.
- I am deserving of self-patience and self-love.
- The world needs to hear what I have to say.
Mantras for Challenging Times
- “When a person’s speech is full of anger, it is because he or she suffers deeply.” ― Thich Nhat Hanh, Anger
- I have solved similar problems in the past and can do so again.
- I cannot be defined by society’s labels. I am unique.
- I can use this anger to spark positive change in myself and those around me.
- My anger stems from fear, and I will comfort that fear with loving kindness.
- My small acts of compassion matter to the world.
- Each small step adds up to a long journey toward peace.
- Day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute. I only need to focus on now.
- The success and positive energy of others empower me to change.
- There are beautiful days ahead.
- I will find small beauties in the world today.
- Forgiveness begins with taking care of my own hurt.
- My challenges inspire lessons for myself and those around me.
- “Beyond mountains, there are mountains.” –Haitian Proverb
- My feet are on the ground, I am breathing, and I safe.
- Resting will clarify my next positive step forward.
- I am only responsible for my own actions.
- I believe that there is love in the world and love in myself.
Extensive scientific research has shown that repeating encouraging mantras and phrases like the ones included in this post can help you focus your mind, achieve your goals, and live more mindfully. Remember to write your favorite mantras down and post them throughout the house – or around your desk – as a physical reminder to you to speak kindly to yourself.
Life is always fluctuating. And just as the world outside us constantly changes, so can the way we view it. Make positive changes today and start living the positive life you’ve always imagined.
What’s your favorite mantra? How have words of encouragement changed your outlook on life, or helped you to live more mindfully?
What do you say to someone to lift them up? ›
- “You got this.”
- “Good luck today! ...
- “Sending major good vibes your way.”
- “I know this won't be easy, but I also know you've got what it takes to get through it.”
- “Hope you're doing awesome!”
- “Time to go kick cancer's ass!”
- “Keep on keeping on!”
- “Just one small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day.” — ...
- “Opportunities don't happen, you create them.” — ...
- “Love your family, work super hard, live your passion.” — ...
- “It is never too late to be what you might have been.” —
- Hang in there.
- Don't give up.
- Keep pushing.
- Keep fighting!
- Stay strong.
- Never give up.
- Never say 'die'.
- Come on! You can do it!.
- You've got this. ...
- This is tough, but it's temporary. ...
- I know it's hard right now, but it's worth doing. ...
- I'm so proud of you and know that you will excel.
- You deserve this opportunity. ...
- You can absolutely do this. ...
- You're not in this alone.
“Dreams come true.” “Never give up.” “Winners never quit.” “Success breeds success.”What are 5 positive phrases? ›
- I admire you. Super positive people are appreciative. ...
- You can do it. Super positive people are supportive. ...
- I value you. Super positive people are caring. ...
- You can count on me. Super positive people are collaborative. ...
- I believe in you. ...
- You are kind. ...
- I trust you. ...
- You are smart.
- “Do the best you can. ...
- “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” ―Theodore Roosevelt.
- 'It's never too late to be what you might've been.” ―George Eliot.
- “If you can dream it, you can do it.” ―Walt Disney.
- “Trust yourself that you can do it and get it.” ―Baz Luhrmann.
- This is what you're going through, not who you are.
- " ...
- You are doing awesome!
- This is tough, but you're tougher.
- Don't stress. ...
- Good luck today! ...
- You're making a big change, and I'm so proud of you!
- Sending some good vibes and happy thoughts your way.
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” “When you have a dream, you've got to grab it and never let go.” “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”How do you motivate someone in a positive way? ›
- Ask them. Explain exactly what you need, by when, and why. ...
- Involve them. Ask them what it will take for them to get involved. ...
- Trust them. Give them the autonomy to decide how the work will be done, within certain parameters. ...
- Inspire them. ...
- Appreciate them. ...
- Reward them. ...
- Challenge them. ...
- Celebrate them.
Can you give me some words of encouragement? ›
"If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one." —Dolly Parton. "Believe you can and you're halfway there." —Theodore Roosevelt. "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." —C.S. Lewis.
What are the twelve powerful words? Trace, Analyze, Infer, Evaluate, Formulate, Describe, Support, Explain, Summarize, Compare, Contrast, Predict. Why use the twelve powerful words? These are the words that always give students more trouble than others on standardized tests.What are the 10 power words? ›
- Fervent. This power word means to display something passionately, so it implies action and immediacy. ...
- Sharp. Use the word sharp when you want to focus someone's attention; it has an unusual power. ...
- Renewed. ...
- Shining. ...
- Instantly. ...
- Invigorated. ...
- absolutely. accepted. acclaimed. ...
- beaming. beautiful. believe. ...
- calm. celebrated. certain. ...
- dazzling. delight. delightful. ...
- earnest. easy. ecstatic. ...
- fabulous. fair. familiar. ...
- generous. genius. ...
- handsome. happy.
- "It sounds like you're dealing with a lot at the moment"
- "I'm really sorry to hear that you're feeling like this right now"
- "I'm really glad you're sharing this with me"
- The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - ...
- The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. - ...
- Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. ...
- If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor. -
- “Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.” — ...
- “You're off to great places, today is your day. ...
- “Keep a positive attitude, even if results don't seem to be occurring as quickly as you want them to.” — ...
- “The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.” — ...
- “You need an attitude of survive.
- "When you have a dream, you've got to grab it and never let go." ...
- "Nothing is impossible. ...
- "There is nothing impossible to they who will try." ...
- "The bad news is time flies. ...
- "Life has got all those twists and turns. ...
- "Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."
- Please and thank you. A no-brainer for good office etiquette, but how often we forget! ...
- I'm sorry. I apologize. ...
- How may I help? ...
- Appreciate and acknowledge. ...
- Use a person's name in conversation.
What are Power Words? Power words are words that smart copywriters use to trigger a psychological or emotional response. They're called “power words” because they are so persuasive that people simply can't resist being influenced by them!
What is a good quote for strength? ›
The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. There is little that can withstand a man who can conquer himself. Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle.What is a good positive phrase? ›
"Lead from the heart, not the head." "Always find opportunities to make someone smile, and to offer random acts of kindness in everyday life." "You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness." "The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts."What is the best motto in life? ›
- When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
- Life every day like it's your last.
- Be yourself. ...
- Be the change you wish to see in the world.
- Let go of who you think you're supposed to be and embrace who you are.
- If you are not obsessed with your life, change it.
- Set some goals, then demolish them.
- " The purpose of our lives is to be happy." — Dalai Lama.
- " Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." — John Lennon.
- " Get busy living or get busy dying." — Stephen King.
- " You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." — Mae West.
- " ...
- " ...
- " ...
What else can I do to support them?
- Listen to them. ...
- Stay in touch. ...
- Praise them. ...
- Use empathetic body language. ...
- Tell them what they mean to you. ...
- Support them in seeking help.
- Being a helpful and dependable team member.
- Coming up with an innovative product or solution.
- Conceiving of a new product, project, or initiative and seeing it through to completion.
- Contributing to a team or helping them achieve a goal.
- Contributing to a company mission that you care about.
- Tap into what inspires them. ...
- Celebrate the big things—and the little ones too. ...
- Reward their effort. ...
- Listen with curiosity. ...
- Show respect. ...
- Appreciate them for who they are. ...
- Show your gratitude.
- Ask Them If They Want Help. ...
- Simply Be There for Them. ...
- Take On a Creative Project Together. ...
- Leave Your Friend a Handwritten Note. ...
- Swing the Blues Away. ...
- Go Get Some Ice Cream. ...
- Do Whatever They Want to Do. ...
- Volunteer Together.
There is no doubt in my mind that you'll get through this.” “Hey, I just wanted to check in on you and let you know I'm here for you if you need anything.” “You are a super special person in my life. Thank you for being there for me, and know that I'll always do the same for you!”How do you lift someone up? ›
- Always lift using your legs, not your back. ...
- Bend at your knees and hips, as if you were performing a squat. ...
- Keep your feet apart, with one foot slightly in front of the other for balance. ...
- Keep your abdominals tight, your wrists straight, and your chin tucked in.
What do you say to someone going through a hard time quotes? ›
- “Thank you for all you do for us, but now is a time to take care of yourself as well.” ...
- “I'm proud of you.” ...
- “I hate that you're going through this, but I know that you've got this.” ...
- “Remember when you were there for me? ...
- “Here's how we're going to take care of your work while you're away.”
But, if you're looking for something to say, here are some ways to articulate that you care: “I'm here for you.” “How can I help you?” “What do you need right now?”
Listen with compassion
For someone going through a tough time, one of the most helpful things you can do is listen. If you suspect someone you know is dealing with tricky issues: approach them and let them know you're there. find a suitable time and place to talk to them.
- I'm here with you.
- There's not a right or wrong way to respond.
- You don't have to have it all figured out.
- I am here to help in whatever way is most helpful (and it's okay if you don't know what that is yet).
- It's okay to be scared.
- Stay calm, look for injuries.
- Set a chair by their feet and another by their head.
- Roll the senior onto their side, help them into a kneeling position.
- Have them brace their hands on the chair in front of them.
- Help them put a single leg up toward the chair, as if doing knee lunges.
Alternate Synonyms for "lift up":
pick up; gather up; raise; lift; elevate; get up; bring up. elate; uplift; intoxicate; stimulate; shake; shake up; excite; stir.